Monday, May 9, 2011

Sanjay Bhansali is clearly not a friend - Karan Johar

Asha Ashish© got an exclusive interview with one of Bollywood’s most noted and prolific producer-cum-directors Karan Johar. In the interview, Johar talked at length on the movies coming out of his production house “Dharma Productions”. He also clarified on the controversies surrounding his chat show “Koffee with Karan” and of course no interview of his would have ended without a talk about Shah Rukh Khan.

Asha Ashish©: What projects are you currently working on?
KJ: I am working on a couple of projects from Dharma Productions.
•  An untitled project featuring Imran Khan and Kareena Kapoor directed by Shakun Batra. The title doing the rounds is "Short Term Shaadi". We are still figuring out an appropriate title for the film. The movie should be out in October 2011.
•  The modern adaptation of the original Agneepath directed by debut director Karan Malhotra. The movie stars Hrithik Roshan, Priyanka Chopra, Rishi Kapoor and Sanjay Dutt. The movie should be ready for release by the end of this year.
•  I will be directing newcomers for the first time in my career in "Student of The Year". It’s a film about youth and the way they think. I am starting filming in July.
•  Dostana 2- Tarun is working on the screenplay of the movie. The movie will have Abhishek, John and Katrina.
•  Ayan Mukherjee’s next will come out next year. The movie will have Ranbir Kapoor. The female cast is yet to be decided.
•  Punit Malhotra’s next will come out next year.
Asha Ashish©: Have you approached Salman Khan for a movie?
KJ: There have been some thoughts within the production house. We are ideating. Only when everything is confirmed, can I talk more about it. Right now there is no confirmation on any such film. As a production house, I would love to work with all leading actors. My debut film had Salman Khan. He had a great association with my dad and I hope to work him in the near future.
Asha Ashish©: What prompted you to remake Agneepath? How is the new Agneepath different?
KJ: Agneepath is a very special film to me because my dad had produced it and it has been the pillars of Dharma Productions. I am readapting and restructuring the original Agneepath. It’s our way of honoring the earlier movie. We are making a far different Agneepath. The original Agneepath was not a commercial success but I hope this one is.
Asha Ashish©: Cinematographer Ravi K. Chandran has been replaced by Kiran Deohans for Agneepath. Why the sudden change? 
KJ: I always requested Ravi K. Chandran to come on board for Agneepath but he had a prior commitment with Murgadoss’s film that he had taken on. So he was busy. So we had to part ways.
Asha Ashish©: "Koffee with Karan" Season 4, Is it happening?
KJ: Not now. I enjoy doing it but now I would like to give it a break as it tires me.
Asha Ashish©: What do you have to say to the controversies that come out of the show?
KJ: I never intend to create or foster up controversies. I wish everyone in the industry has a sense of humor. I dont think anyone is intentionally trying to hurt anyone.
Asha Ashish©: What is the logic behind having just a handful of names mentioned in the rapid fire rounds? For example, Vidya Balan is never mentioned in the rank in the order of talent round
KJ: People are overthinking. I can’t mention 25 names, Can I? I mention names that are on the top of my head. This is not taking away from anyone’s talent. I am big fan of Vidya and I think she is a fabulous actress.
The rapid fire is a fun round and should not be taken so seriously.
Asha Ashish©: Sanjay Leela Bhansali in a recent interview mentioned that he expected you and Sonam to have shown some restraint on "Koffee with Karan". Your comments?
KJ: Sanjay Bhansali has been a friend. I was very surprised to open the front page of a newspaper and read what he had to say about me. He claims he never watches Koffee with Karan and yet the only thing that bothered him were the things being said on" Koffee with Karan". It came as a very big surprise to me and I didn’t react because I don’t want to react. Anyone who chooses the media as a form of communication is clearly not a friend. I think he needs to learn to take himself a lot more lightly than he does. It will be a good thing for him.
Asha Ashish©: There are also reports of your proxy war with Aamir Khan since you are seen promoting Stanley Ka Dabba (The movie is directed by Amole Gupte who had a fallout with Aamir Khan during Taare Zaamen Par).
KJ: Aamir and I have a solid and wonderful relationship. I am hugely fond of him and Kiran. There reports are all ridiculous.
Asha Ashish©: After your marriage news turned out to be an April fool’s joke, everyone wants to know when do you plan to get married for real?
KJ: I don’t ever plan to get married. I enjoy the single status. It gives me a great sense of independence which now I can’t do without.
Asha Ashish©: How has your friendship with Shah Rukh Khan evolved over the years?
KJ: Well I am not Shah Rukh Khan’s friend. Gauri is my close friend. Shah Rukh is like my elder brother. We are not backslapping buddies. I stand up when he walks into a room. He has replaced my father in my life. So yes, SRK is not like my buddy, it is a myth that surrounds us.
Asha Ashish©: Over the years, have you ever had any misunderstandings with Shah Rukh ? 
KJ: Never. To me, whatever Shah Rukh says is like the gospel truth in my life. He is largely responsible for the success of my movies and I will never ever forget that. Shah Rukh will always be part of my professional and personal life.
Asha Ashish©: Who is your BFF from the industry?
KJ: I am good friends with everyone but Aditya Chopra is my closest buddy.



No comments:

Post a Comment