Monday, August 1, 2011

Aishwarya came between me and Salman - Somy Ali

1. What do you think of the singles population today? Do you believe that singles are actively trying to date and find a match or do you think it is all a game and people aren’t serious?

I think it is a little bit of both. I think people in general are afraid to be alone and sometimes they put up with things that they should not simply because of societal pressures and the need to conform to the societal norm of being in a relationship. On the other hand, there are people that don’t care about the conformity aspect of being in a relationship, such as myself.

2.Cameron Diaz believes that marriage is a dying institution. According to her, we make our own rules. Do you agree or disagree? Why or why not?

Statistics show that lesser people are getting married and the divorce rate is ridiculously high. That tells us something. I personally believe that marriage is an institution you can’t wait to get in and once you’re in you can’t wait to get out.

3. Do you think it is possible for men and women to have the same capacity to love one another?

Absolutely. Once again that is very individual specific. I think the biggest factor in the divorces that are taking place, quite frequently is because there is not equal love in a marriage. But once again, I have to emphasize that it is extremely individual specific.

4. Tell us a little bit about your relationship with Salman Khan.


Salman was my first boyfriend. I had a huge crush on him as a teenager. The crush led me to leave Florida and move to India and join films just so I could find him and get married to him. You have a license of doing idiotic things when you’re 15. However, I do not have a single regret of pursuing my first love.

5. How would you describe Salman Khan?

They say if you can count four friends on your fingers and trust them blindly, you’re extremely fortunate. Salman happens to be one of them. He has a heart of gold and I know for a fact that if I were ever in need he would be the first person that I would call.

6. Do you have any regrets about your relationship with Salman Khan?

No regrets at all. I learned a great deal from Salman and his family. Teenage years are formative years for individuals, especially a young girl and spending my teenage years growing up in front of Salman has made me who I am today. Salman and his family taught me that it does not matter what religion one is, what culture one comes from, what makes a person a good person is their actions. He was a good role model to have growing up, outside of the boyfriend aspect of things.

7. Do you still keep in touch with Salman Khan?

Absolutely. Like I do with any other friend.

8. Who came between you and Salman Khan?

Aishwarya Rai

9. Who do you blame more for your breakup, Aishwarya Rai or Salman Khan?

Neither. They both did what they felt and believed was the right thing to do at that point in time. I don’t like to hold grudges. It will only affect my growth as a person.

10. Vivek Oberoi threw a press conference in 2003 regarding his altercation with Salman Khan. Do you believe what he said about Salman? Why do you think Vivek said those things regarding Salman?

I am not responsible for what other people say, but I would say this, anytime a person treats or speaks badly of someone else it usually stems from insecurity.

11. Do you attend Bollywood award ceremonies?

No.

12. Are you and Salman Khan still friendly? Does he visit you in the States at all? Do you visit him in India? When was the last time you guys met up?

The last time I saw him was in Bangkok. I was there for a women’s rights conference and he was there for a film shoot in May 2011. We caught up as friends would and talked about our non-profits. We both complimented each other about making a change for the better.
13. What was the reason you left India and a promising career in Bollywood?

To reiterate, I did not go to India for a career in Bollywood. I had a crush on an actor like any teenager does and I actually pursued the crush and went to find him. In hindsight now, I think it was extremely precocious for a 15 year old.

14. If given the opportunity, would you ever return to Bollywood?

No. I would not trade saving lives and my work with No More Tears for anything else in this world.

15. Do you miss making films?

I don’t miss being in films. I am working on a film for No More Tears at the moment.

16. What are your favorite Bollywood movies?

Maine Pyar Kiya, Monsoon Wedding, Tare Zameen Par, Black, and Fire.

17. Do you live alone?

My mother has been living with me for the past two months. She recently moved in and she has been a huge supporter for my work with No More Tears.

18. Do you wish you had a partner that completes you?

I think everyone secretly wishes that they had someone that understood them. I would be lying if I said I didn’t, however I haven’t found anyone that is equally passionate and understanding of my work as a human rights activist and me as an individual.

19.If you had one wish, what would it be?

For No More Tears to permeate globally and saves lives wherever it is needed.

20.Do you believe in soul mates?

No. There is no such thing.

21. What experience in your life led you to create the No More Tears Project?

I saw domestic violence growing up in Pakistan and then in my teenage years in India as well as in my adult years in the US. Domestic violence has no prejudices and is not class specific. It effects everyone! I wanted to take a stand against it which gave birth to No More Tears.

22. Where do you see yourself going in the future? How do you think your life will turn out? How do you want your life to turn out?

My present and my future are extremely contingent upon my work with No More Tears. I do plan on adopting a baby girl from Pakistan in the next 2-3 years. As I mentioned early the goal is to make No More Tears rescue lives first all over the US and then globally. As a progressive Muslim woman, I find it my duty to help young girls and women in Pakistan and anywhere else where they are being mistreated.

Thanks Somy! It was a pleasure talking with you!

xoxo

Monica Marwah
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just wanna add,Somy still looks so beautiful


10 comments:

  1. Salman might have treated all his girlfriends bad, but how come no one else speak ill about him.
    Ash is a sick person

    ReplyDelete
  2. * salman pursued aishwarya because she was gawgus n had a beautiful heart* he said this* she was the only girl salman wanted to marry even katrina he was not serious about *

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ash dumped sallu because HE WOULD NOT COMMIT TO HER and SOMY WAS ALWAYS THERE-- SECOND FIDDLE.
    Ms.Somy Ali I have a question for you.
    WHO CAME BETWEEN SANGITA AND SALMAN?.
    YOU SOMY-NOFAME-ALI...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is'nt this the girfriend on whose head, Salman smashed a Coke bottle?

    ReplyDelete
  5. SERIOUSLY THIS WOMAN IS STILL CRAZY ABOUT SALMAN...I HATE ASH BUT SHE DIDN'T COME BETWEEN THEM. SALMAN WAS HITTING HER, POURING A BOTTLE OF BEER ON HER HEAD AT A PARTY AND GETTING IN FIGHT WITH GULSHAN GROVER COZ GG N SOMY WAS BEING "COZY"..HE TREATED HER LIKE A DOORMAT COZ HE WASNT INTO HER, and in the end she blames everyone but ASH. no wonder she started organization to help abused woman ..but she still needs to get HEALED before she helps others.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why are you posting some interview on Pakistani D listers ? She had like 3 flop movies in the 90s. I never saw even one of them and don't regret it.

    Also, Salman cheated on Sangeeta Bijlani with her, and on her with Aish and cheated on Aish with Preity etc . The guy is a dog and was physically abusive to all his past girlfriends, yet she still idolises him , she is nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah Ash is manipulative- we saw her bedroom pic with salman.. wearing nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nevermind if AishwaryaRai is a saint or not. As we all know, she has always conducted herself and her affairs in total dignity and has never washed the dirty linen in public. She took her work seriously, made a name and place for herself in the world and put Bollywood on international cinema and also managed to lead a dignified married life simultaneously. SomiAli on the other hand says she was not in India for movies but for Salman and that too when she was all of 15yrs old, how noble!! I don't know her real age, but I do know she made headlines in film magazines those days not for her acting, but her off screen escapades. I very well remember her carrying on with all sorts of guys and being written about it. Stardust and other film magazines were full of her affairs and how she used and discarded Gulshan Grover and dumped him all heartbroken for a short fling with her so called flame, Salman Khan. She mentions Aishwarya now and like someone here said, makes news! SomiAli is pathetic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So is she trying to say Aishwarya forced Salman to forget this Somy Ali and broke their relationship? That means their relationship was so weak? Salman was so weak to say no to Aish? And what was Somy doing all these 12-13 years that she suddenly has to do an interview to come and take Aish's name?

    Somy and Salman were dating when Salman started working with Aishwarya on HDDCS. Obviously Aishwarya was the better woman than Somy in each and every way so Salman cheated on Somy and moved on to better things (read Aishwarya).

    But this Somy can't blame Salman because she is on friendly terms with him. Remember Salman had emptied a bottle of coca cola on Somy in full public view in a restaurany?

    ReplyDelete
  10. its kind of pathetic how she defends Salman in the Vivek thing. Salman did harass and stalk Aishwarya and Vivek. There's no defending that .

    ReplyDelete