Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Rani Mukerji talks about her equation with Aishwarya, Abhishek, Kajol & Aamir


CREDIT: FILMFARE

Rani spoke to Filmfare editor Jitesh Pillai. Read on.

While it’s difficult to make a reticent Rani Mukerji admit to her much speculated upon relationship, Filmfare enjoys playing hide ‘n’ seek with her

Marriage rumours?

Rumours of my marriage? Maybe some insecure actor or a group of people spread them. I read about it in the tabloids with dates and venues. I’d always be mildly amused wondering who’d concoct such stuff. For the past four years, I’ve being married off every six months. Where’s the marriage? When I do get married, it will be with band baaja baaraat. I’m sure these stories were planted. No journo is going to sit in his office and imagine these stories unless he gets a tip off from a ‘well-wisher’ of mine.

Okay, what about the constant rumours linking you with Aditya Chopra?
(Laughs) The good part is that it is constant. I’m glad I’m being linked with just one person not many. I enjoy that ‘constant’. I’m not comfortable talking about a certain whoever in my life. It leads to so much speculation.

Okay, let me make this easier. So are you in a relationship or not?
Lovely! I would like to say no. I choose to say that at this point. In our industry anyone who admits to a relationship gets into a loop. It sets off a chain of never ending explanations. I’d like to wait this one out. I’m not comfortable talking about my personal life since there’s already been so much intense speculation. I’ve seen so many actors go through this and being embarrassed by all the public scrutiny.

Hmmm…
Listen, you have to be responsible about what the ‘other’ person wants. When two people are in a relationship, you have to take the other person’s feelings into consideration. I may want to speak about a relationship, but I won’t if the person I’m in a relationship with is not comfortable with me talking about him. I would love to tell my fans that I’m in love and in a relationship but I don’t think the time is right yet.

What about stories of you not getting along with Aditya’s parents, Yash and Pam Chopra?
That is utter nonsense. Yash Chopra is a legend; I’ve always looked up to Yash uncle. To insinuate something like that is belittling his stature. Yash uncle is such a humble human being despite all his success. And I can never forget how Pam aunty looked after me so beautifully on the sets of Mujhse Dosti Karoge. I spent a considerable time with her; she looked after me just like she would do it for any member of her family. Let me assure you that I share a fabulous relationship with the Chopras.

Okay, how do you feel when you are in love?
I feel beautiful in love. (Laughs) There’s a lot of love in the beholder’s eyes for you. That makes you happy.

You’ve been in love in your 20s. Is it any different now?
Love in your 20s! You are an idiot then, it’s not really love. Love at 30 is true love.

What's the craziest thing you’ve done in love?
I’ve done many crazy things in love. I’m quite crazy, I just drive the man nuts!!!

Would you have a live-in relationship? Do you think marriage is over-rated?
Nope, I don’t come from that headspace. It’s important for me to marry the man I love. Marriage is not an overrated institution but it’s fast going extinct and I need to get married before that happens. I’ll be last of my generation to get married.

Tell me what went wrong with your friendship with Abhishek Bachchan? Is it because you weren’t invited for the marriage?
Only Abhishek can throw light on that. The truth is that if a person chooses not to invite you to their wedding, you realise where you stand with the person. You may be deluded and think you are friends
but maybe the friendship was only restricted to being co-stars on the sets. It doesn’t matter. It became very clear and evident that we were only co-actors and not friends. Moreover inviting someone to a wedding is a personal choice. Tomorrow when I decide to get married, I will choose the handful of people I want to invite. A lot has been blown out of proportion. Poor guy has been married for many years, we should all move on. I will always have fond memories of working with him.

But apparently you guys look through each other at parties?
Do we? Maybe the lighting in the party was bad. I’ve no idea.

What about his wife Aishwarya Rai Bachchan? She doesn't seem to have forgotten the Chalte Chalte episode where you replaced her.
You’ll have to ask her that. We are always civil to each other. If I see her, I’ll definitely wish her. She's a fabulous actor from my generation.

What about your cousin Kajol, there’s no love lost there.
On Koffee With Karan I asked why she doesn’t like me as much as I like her. I have no idea. She’s five years older than me, she's closer to my brother's age. I respect her.

You like her performances?
I’ve liked all her performances be it Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge or Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham. She cries so beautifully on screen.

Who else do you like?
From my generation, Aishwarya and Preity Zinta. Preity and I have done the maximum number of films together and the press tried to pit us against each other as well. Though she came later, I adore Bebo
(Kareena Kapoor). I love Priyanka (Chopra), she’s lovely too. Anushka (Sharma) is damn talented too. Among the new girls I like Katrina (Kaif), Deepika (Padukone), Sonam (Kapoor), they are all so
beauuuutiful.

Any role u would have loved to play in recent times?
Among the women? None. Among the men, I’d have probably loved to do Salman Khan’s role in Dabangg. That would be cool.

Once again you are doing a film with Aamir Khan. Have you come full circle?
Absolutely. At the beginning of my career, after my debut in Rajaa Ki Aayegi Baraat, I signed Ghulam with him. Now I’ve signed another film with Aamir. (Laughs) Suddenly I feel like a newcomer again. So my contemporaries will now be Anushka, Sonam and Deepika (full-throated laughter).

Okay, let me give this one last try. Do you like Aditya Chopra as a director?
I love his sense of romance especially in Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge and Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi.

Didn’t Adi direct you in Veer Zaara?
No. Yash uncle did, though Adi was supervising some of the scenes.

Has Adi ever asked you to do a film for him? As in would you like to be directed by him?
I’d jump at the opportunity if Adi offered me a film. I don’t think anyone makes romantic films like he does. I’ve interacted with him so much on the other films he’s produced. I love his sense of romance… in
the movies.


4 comments:

  1. i like the interview she doesn't sound rude neither too diplomatic...her answer about abhishek is so right...just like the media and abhi-rani fans..rani must have thought that she is his good friend...but she has moved on in her life...its so brave of her to speak nicely of aishwarya rai....saying that she likes her among her contemporaries.....and she does sound a little arrogant when she said that her contemporaries will be anushka,sonam deepika...she deserves to be arrogant...after so many flops and criticism she managed to make a come back shes been able to give a good film,not many actresses can do this!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rani is so fake with her false sweetness. She had a live-in relationship with the married Govinda as his mistress. Then she hooked up with the married Adi Chopra.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 5 yrs diff between Kajol & her? Kajol is August '75 born & Rani March '78 born.. what is she trying to prove by giving other heroines' ages? She & her mom always compare her with Kajol & comes up with the stupid arg that Rani is too young to Kajol, huh? just a 2.5 yrs younger...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finally people can stop saying that Rani started the whole Abhishekh thing. She was ASKED, so she answered. She gave a dignified answer too. Good on her. I love the fact she mentions so many current actress' as her faves.

    She's a lovely woman!

    ReplyDelete